Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tiesto Audition and Tips for Auditioning

Two weekends ago we held tryouts for girls to dance on stage with Tiesto in front of 10,000 people.



Being an official dancer for Tiesto at a huge mega venue in front of 9,999 screaming fans. What a crazy awesome opportunity right? I mean, who the hell wouldn't want to see the greatest DJ of all time for free? And share the spot light with him and a bunch of other cool girs? And wear amazing outfits.

I thought there would be a hundred girls fighting for the chance.

Well, not really. Try 10 to 15 girls. All the girls were really cute but I think about 4 of them made it.

When I saw how little girls showed up I was thinking "WTF?!" ....but then it kind of made sense. REJECTION.

Rejection sucks. Period. Check the end of this video:


I almost didn't show up for my gogo audition. I didn't even tell anyone I was auditioning just because I didn't want to be embarassed if I didn't make it. I sort of assumed I wasn't really the "gogo type" (I'm more of a little hippie type). Auditioning is really scary. It takes a lot of guts to go out and strut your stuff while people judge you- do you move well, are you fat, sexy enough, too stiff, too pale, awkward etc. etc.

Some pictures from my audition (photos by Christopher Shea):







Not coming because you are scared you won't make the cut is a lame excuse. You might be better than you think. Besides, you will be more prepared if you ever want to audition for another dancing position. It shows you how the auditions function and what they are looking for.

Auditions can be open (anyone can just show up) or closed (you need to provide some experience/references beforehand) as well as video submissions, etc. For an open audition you just come, sign up, and dance to music with a few other girls at a time. You might be in front of a crowd or just a few other dancers and staff. If you score a solo audition, you show up on a given night and dance with the rest of the dancers and they see if you are a good fit. This is more laid back because it's dark, you're in the atmosphere and you aren't directly competing with a bunch of other girls.



If you are worried about what to expect or bring, you can always email them beforehand. Typically though:
-Wear a sexy but simple 2 piece gogo outfit (one that is very comfortable to dance in)
-Have hair and makeup done and look very clean/presentable
-Bring water (helps reduce cotton mouth if you're nervous)
-Wear whatever the standard footwear is for your position
-Introduce yourself and smile (pouting the whole time you dance is not as sexy as it seems in your head)
-Make friends with the other auditionees (it's nice to know others are going through the same thing as you)
-Don't overthink it (you will just end up looking awkward)

To all the girls that did come to the audition on Friday, props to you!!! It works if you work it ;)

-PineApple

No comments:

Post a Comment